Monday, July 15, 2013

Summer Travels

Dear New Amsterdam Community,

I hope this summer finds you well and that you are enjoying more time with your children.
New Amsterdam has been quietly and joyful  bringing Summer programs and working hard on our grades school initiative.  We look very forward to sharing more soon!

I am writing today to share with you that at the end of July I will be taking fruits of my work with you and your children to 2 initiatives. I will be meeting  children, visiting a few schools, classes and working with teachers.

One is the Rafiki Waldorf school in Tanzania, Africa.


Rafiki was started a few years ago by my dear friend and colleague Victoria Mlay.
The school currently serves children ages 3-7 and in Tanzania, the government requires that a traditional curriculum be implemented.  While this formal instruction is introduced the teachers are working to bring balance and nurture the children’s imagination and bring joy to their learning experience.

Not to far away is the Hekima Waldorf School.

While the school is serving about 150 families, they also created a place for orphaned children.

From here I visit  the Tashi Waldorf school In Kathmandu, Nepal.

My husband will join me for 2 weeks and we will do more of the same work.

I feel the immensity, I feel the future of Waldorf Education, I feel the wonder of our lives. I hope to plant seeds for future partnerships and for new capacities waiting to be born.

I will take you all with me and share my joy, stories and love for the work we are doing together.

I really just wanted to share this with you all. Thank you for taking time to read this and I look very forward to bring to you my experience and seeing your loving faces when I return.

Lastly, both initiatives are in need of supplies.  Although I will not have a large bag I will bring dolls, paper books, crayons, beeswax, paint etc. 
If you would like to make a donation for any of these items please let me know.
lisa.bono@newamsterdamchildhood.org

I leave July 22nd.

Wholeheartedly,
Lisa